Welcome to Year 5!
Over the course of the Spring Term, we studied London in the 17th Century - the plague and the Great Fire of London featured prominently - and then we learned about the Polar regions - including the great explorer, Ernest Shackleton.
Please see below for photos of what we've been up to this (and last) term. Ask your child about what they've been doing!
For maths, please help your child practise their times tables - which are a crucial underpinning skill in mental maths. We have found a range of apps that support learning tables and are positively reviewed. They are all either free or very cheap.
- 10 minutes a day times tables by Dorling Kindersley
- Times tables quiz by Padadaz
- Maths loops times tables by James C Carriedo
- Times tables for kids practice by Intenet design zone
- Multiplication tables by Ronak Shah
- Multiplication games by Maria Dolores
- Maths champions fun brain games by Nicolas Lehovetski
- Times tables rock stars
Here are some pictures from our PE sessions over the year. We did tag rugby and yoga in the autumn term, and we are doing tae kwon do and hockey in the spring term.
We are learning about Shackelton's epic 'Endurance' journey - over 100 years ago!
We have been studying 17th Century London this term and have been trying to emulate Rembrandt's 'Ciaroscuro' shading technique. Here are a few examples of our still lives (chalk on black) and portraits (charcoal on white).